Questions & Answers


Question: I know my parents needed a marriage license but it seems a little old-fashioned. Do they still require couples to get a marriage license?


Sarah: Yes. A marriage license is required of any couple getting married in Connecticut.  The fee is usually $50 and if you want a certified copy, there is an additional fee.

Question: Can I get the marriage license without my partner? It's so hard to coordinate our schedules during the day and we are so busy planning for the wedding?


Sarah: Well, plan on doing some more planning to sync your schedule with your partner. The two of you need to be together in person, to obtain your marriage license. The process usually takes about 15 to 20 minutes. Be sure to check with the Town Hall about its hours of operation. While most are open 9 to 5 some have unusual hours especially during the summertime. Be sure to call ahead and find out if you need an appointment. Also, ask if the town clerk needs my information and I will get it for you before you apply for your license. Most clerks do not require it but some do. 


Question: Do I get the license in the town I am living in or the town where I am getting married?


Sarah: You must get your marriage license from the town in which you are getting married. For example,  if you are getting married at the Society Room in Hartford,  but you live in Avon--you must go to the Hartford Town Hall to obtain your wedding license. 

Question: Is a marriage license good forever? Let's say my partner and I decide to wait a little longer to get married.


Sarah: Unfortunately like everything else, nothing lasts forever, except for your love. A marriage license is only valid for just 65 days. So, plan accordingly. Once your marriage license is issued, you can get married right away. There is no waiting period. 


Question: I've heard stories about same-sex couples having a time getting their marriage licenses. Does that happen here?


Sarah: If you are entering a same-sex marriage, no town clerk can refuse your application anywhere in the United States. Period. End of Story. The United States Supreme Court made same-sex marriage a  nationwide right in 2015. 


Question: Do I need to bring my marriage license to the wedding ceremony?


Sarah: Yes! Yes! Yes! Okay, now that we have that clear, you need to bring your license because without it--I can't marry you.  If you don't have it, I can't marry you! I prefer to get the license to the rehearsal. If you don't have one, I will need it as soon as I arrive at the ceremony. Directly after the ceremony, I return your license via mail or in person to the town clerks office. You do not get it back from me after the ceremony. It's now a legal document that I need to make sure is delivered properly. 


Common Town Clerk Offices For Popular Wedding Venues 


Hartford Town Clerk 

(The Society Room,  Marquee Events/Gershon Fox Ballroom, The Bond, Riverfront Boathouse, Goodwin Hotel, Hartford Town Hall, Mark Twain House) 


Middletown Town Clerk

(Barns @ Wesleyan Hills, Wadsworth Mansion, Pavillon @ Crystal Lake, Inn @ Middletown, Wesleyan Chapel)


Farmington Town Clerk

(Hillstead Museum, Farmington Club, Farmington Gardens, Hartford Marriott/Farmington, Tunxis Country Club)